Monday, October 16, 2023

National Dictionary Day – October 16:


Happy National Dictionary Day 2023!

Dictionaries are now considered antiquated as Merriam-Webster online or Wikipedia are used by most for online term or spelling checking.

I have a soft spot for dictionaries for two reasons:

1 - When I taught 6th grade many years ago, our hall passes 'mysteriously' disappeared on the way to and back from the bathroom.  I decided to use one of our classroom Dictionaries as the hall pass to dissuade students from 'misplacing' or destroying the pass (can't flush this), and perhaps learn something along the way.

2 - My dad had his favorite dictionary within arm's reach as he frequently looked up words while doing his nightly crossword puzzles.  Every evening, we'd sit at the kitchen table as dad would work the puzzle, pause to scratch my back, continue with the puzzle, scratch my back, etc., etc.  My dad died in 1978, but his dictionary holds fond memories for me.  Here's his dictionary today...with a preserved leaf from our front yard maple tree as another keepsake.


Happy reading!



#NationalDictionaryDay #MerriamWebster #LookItUp

No comments:

Post a Comment