Thursday, April 18, 2024

On this day in music history - Doolittle, by the Pixies (1989)


Doolittle

by the Pixies,

was released in the United States on April 18, 1989.


One of my favorite all-time albums, Doolittle, by the Pixies, is perfect.
From Kim Deal’s first bass chords of Debaser to the final guitar fade out of Gouge Away, which I was lucky enough to witness live at the DAR Constitutional Hall, in 2009, as part of their Doolittle 20th anniversary tour. 

The 2009 show opened with the 1929 French silent short film Un Chien Andalou, directed by Luis Buñuel, followed by Black Francis, Joey Santiago, Kim Deal, and David Lovering, performing the complete Doolittle album in order.
The audience was an interesting mix of 40-to-50-year-olds and college kids.
So happy the music has inspired newer generations, as it did me in the early 1990s.

Interesting sidenote:
In the run up to my 2012 LASIK surgery, I couldn’t stop hearing Debaser’s line “slicing up eyeballs”, which is not something you can share with anyone not already a Pixies fan.
Thanks to some resourceful and accommodating surgery techs, I was able to have my LASIK performed with an audio backdrop of Debaser and Karma Police by Radiohead.
Ten minutes later, I had an on-demand mini concert and perfect vision…a pretty great deal.

Thank you, Pixies for Doolittle, a singular, perfect album, inspiring many, many bands that followed, along with being part of the soundtrack of my life.

#Pixies #Doolittle #Debaser #Tame #WaveOfMutilation #HereComesYourMan #Dead #MonkeyGoneToHeaven  #MrGrieves #CrackityJones #LaLaLoveYou #No13Baby #ThereGoesMyGun #Hey #Silver #GougeAway

No comments:

Post a Comment